Many people around the world set goals at the beginning of the year it is fun and makes it feel like you are being proactive. Some are fulfilled and many many many more are not. I've read a lot about how to set and achieve goals, and I want to share what I've learned here so you can get what you want.
- Formulate a specific set of goals: Your goal should be as specific as possible, expressed in a way that you can imagine exactly what it would be like when you reach it.
- Write it in positive wording: If your goal is something: "I will stop smoking" your mind will naturally think about the act of smoking, and you will end up smoking. If your purpose is "I will lead a very healthy life" you will have to think of ways to be healthier, which will include everything you can do besides smoking.
- Make it realistic: If it is a very large goal, it is advisable to break it into small pieces that are easier to achieve and get done. All the great achievements are the product of a number of small achievements.
- Focus on one goal at a time: Especially when you want to create new habits, it's important to keep your mind clear, focusing on a single goal until it becomes natural for you.
- Make a specific plan: Work every day to carry it forward. If it's a big goal, you probably don't know exactly what you're going to have to do to achieve it so plan the first steps and the rest can be tackled when the time comes.
- Set a deadline: This helps you make the goal more relevant to your life and encourages you to work on a day-to-day basis. If the date arrives and you haven't made it, just pick a new date.
- Enjoy: If you have a good time, the work needed to achieve your goals will not really be work, it will be fun. You'll find yourself more animated and everything will go faster.
Those are the simple steps that helped me start achieving my resolutions. They were something that I needed to go back and review but now they are part of who I am. It is always easier to focus on the solution instead of the problem.